Home » Fixtures » Recent Article

SFC – Group A, V Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-15 Dunshaughlin 1-9

The six points difference at the end in favour of Donaghmore-Ashbourne wasn’t a true reflection of this senior championship game as Dunshaughlin led at the break and held a two-point advantage until midway through the second half. However, the winners dominated the closing stages when Dunshaughlin were reduced to fourteen men following a sending off for two yellow cards and the winners recorded six points and a last minute goal to Dunshaughlin’s single point. Despite missing regulars Oisín Foley and Eric Casserley due to holidays and work commitments and Adam Kealy due to injury, the Black and Ambers had the better of the first half with Niall Murphy, Tadhg Ó Dushláine and Tommy Kinsella prominent. Points from Ben Duggan, two, Kinsella, Fergus Toolan and Matthew Moyles and a goal after a goalmouth scramble left Dunshaughlin two in front at the break. Ó Dúshlaine added another point early in the second half and though Donaghmore reduced the deficit to a single point Tommy Kinsella responded with two more Dunshaughlin points to keep the Black and Ambers marginally ahead. The closing stages belonged to the winners however and Dunshaughlin’s all out attacks left them exposed at the back with a last minute goal sealing the win for Donaghmore for whom Andy Tormay hit a match winning 1-8.

Andrew Smith; Alastar Doyle, Caoimhín King, Niall Byrne; David Dunne, Niall Murphy, Tommy Johnson; John Crimmins, Niall Hurley; Fergus Toolan, Tadhg Ó Dúshláine, Matthew Moyles: Ray Maloney, Ben Duggan, Tommy Kinsella. Subs: Ronan Geraghty for John Crimmins; Paddy Maher for David Dunne; Cian Gallogly for Kinsella; Wes Goodwin for Matthew Moyles.

I also attach match report from Donaghmore/Ashbourne which came via the Hogan Stand website.

Donaghmore Ashbourne managed to see off Dunshaughlin in this SFC 4th Round encounter at Ratoath.

Don Ash got off the mark with 2 points inside 3 minutes from Andy Tormey but they conceded a goal after a goalmouth scramble on 6 minutes. They responded with a point from Sam Benville and another from Tormey immediately after. Stephen Carton added another after a scrappy period in the game with both teams finding it hard to get to grips with the slippy turf. Dunshaughlin scored their first point after 16 minutes and added another a minute later. Benville pointed again and Dunshaughlin added 3 more before Tormey closed the half with a another well taken point.

Dunshaughlin led by 1.05 to 0.07 at the break and  increased their lead after interval with a pointed free.

Andy Tormey pointed a free and Bryan Menton pointed to finish a good flowing move to level the game for the fourth time 9 minutes into the second half. Dunshaughlin got another and went ahead again 1.07 to 0.09 until the Meath captain Menton levelled the game with a brilliant team move.

Dunshaughlin went ahead again on 45 minutes but were pegged back by the boot of Paul Gilligan from a free. The turning point in the match was when Stephen Carton gathered possession and was caught high across the head with a straight arm. The red card was issued and Andy Tormey pointed the free. The tide turned in Donaghmore Ashbourne’s favour and hit 1.03 to Dunshaughlin’s single point in the last 10 minutes, Gilligan with a free and Tormey with a free, a 45 and a fortuitous goal that sealed Dunshaughlins fate.

A solid hard working second half team performance gave Don Ash the 2 championship points on offer.

Donaghmore Ashbourne: Jack Iarlaith O Donnell; Cormac McGill, Sean Curran, Conor Carton; Colm O’Mealoid, Paul Gilligan (0-2f), Shane Melia; Bryan Menton (0-2), Kevin Lanigan; Sam Benville (0-2), James Crumlish, Leo Reilly; Andrew Tormey (1-8, 4f, 1 ’45), Stephen Carton (0-1).

Subs: Cathal Field for Lanigan, Declan Healy for Reilly, Shaun Byrne for Conor Carton, Chris Twomey for Iarlaith O’Donnell.

Comments are closed.